1 year contract position
Application Deadline: August 30th
Hours per week: 30
Rate of Pay: $25.00/hr
Start date: Sept 21st, 2015
Art Starts creates vibrant Toronto neighbourhoods through community-building arts initiatives. We inspire long-term social change in five underserved neighbourhoods in partnership with residents and community organizations. We use the arts to engage residents, collectively work to overcome challenges and create a shared sense of identity. Our collaborative approach to art-making celebrates communities, nurtures resiliency, cultivates life skills and inspires personal growth.
Established in 1992, Art Starts is recognized as one of Toronto’s leading community arts organizations. In 2013 the Toronto Arts Foundation recognized Art Starts with the prestigious Arts for Youth Award.
Art Starts is looking for a motivated professional to join our dynamic team. Reporting to the Director of Development, the Development Manager is responsible for helping to achieve Art Starts’ annual fundraising goals. With an annual budget of $730,000 and growing, the Development Manager will research, prepare, submit and track grant proposals and write associated reports. The successful applicant will work with the Director of Development, Executive Director and Program Director.
Position Summary: The Development Manager will work to achieve Art Starts’ fundraising targets by researching, writing and submitting comprehensive proposals and reports to government, foundation and corporate funders and supporting additional development initiatives as required.
Director of Development and Finance
Duties & Responsibilities
- Write and develop funding proposals for governments, foundations and corporations
- Draft grant budgets in collaboration with Director of Development and Program Director
- Research new funder prospects, particularly among private and family foundations and corporations
- Work with Director of Development and Program Director to submit timely reports to funders
- Prepare reports for the Marketing & Development Committee and Board of Directors
- Manage a calendar of grant reporting deadlines; produce high-quality program reports on deadline
- Track the submission and status of grants and reports
- Ensure that all funder requirements (e.g. program deliverables, logo placement, budgets, etc) are communicated to and implemented by Art Starts staff
- Liaise with funders as needed
- Other duties as needed
- Develop and write funder-focused communications including e-newsletter content, annual reports, etc.
We are seeking a highly motivated individual with extraordinary writing skills, a love for detail, a proven grant-writing track record and a team player who can tackle a job from start to finish.
The ideal candidate for this position is passionate about using the arts as a tool for social change through the development and maintenance of a strong funding program. The ideal candidate has a demonstrated track record in seeking and obtaining funding through government, foundation and corporate grants, managing grant documents and preparing reports for funders in a timely manner. They also possess exceptional writing, organizational, communication and computer skills.
Specifically, we are seeking an individual with the following:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Ability to coordinate multiple grant applications, reports, etc. on overlapping deadlines, and see them to completion in a timely and organized fashion;
- Experience in foundation prospecting and developing relationships with foundation officers;
- Experience in creating grant budgets and formatting budget reports;
- Well-organized and self-motivated, with a well-developed capacity to self-direct and work independently;
- Independent worker with good habits of consulting with others;
- Innovative and strategic thinker;
- Experience within the community-engaged arts sector is very helpful;
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of two (preferably 5) years related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Send resume and cover letter to [email protected] by Sunday, August 30th.
We regret that only those applicants to be interviewed will be contacted.
No phone calls please.