Board Member – Volunteer 3-5hours/month with a start date of May 2012
ART STARTS is a charitable, not for profit organization that uses the arts as a vehicle to encourage social change in Toronto’s underserved neighbourhoods. We bring professional artists and communities together to work in and across all artistic disciplines. Our programs aim to address specific community needs in a responsive and collaborative manner. We have 5 sites in underserved neighborhoods across the G.T.A. and are considered a leader in the field of community arts. In October of this year we will be celebrating our 20th anniversary.
Art Starts is currently recruiting committed and dynamic individuals to join the Board of Directors. Board members provide strategic leadership and direction to confirm Art Starts’ mission. They approve the strategic plan, oversee and evaluate the plan’s success, assure financial health, and enhance the organization’s public image. Members will serve as ambassadors for Art Starts, creating opportunities and nurturing relations in support of its strategic objectives.
Art Starts is looking for the following expertise amongst new board members:
- Human Resources, Marketing/PR, Private Fundraising/Donor Relations, Finance, Governance
In general, the following experience, knowledge, and competencies would be beneficial to a potential candidate:
- Prior experience on a non-profit Board or other related governance experience
- Readiness to support fundraising for Art Starts through ideas, contacts and experience
- A passion for social justice and a very high standard of personal ethics
- Strong communication and networking skills and success in working within a diverse team
- Effective e-communication and readiness to read and digest a substantial volume of documentation.
- Attend monthly board meetings
- Sit on one of 5 board/staff committees: HR, Finance, Development, Governance, Marketing & Communication (quarterly & as-needed meetings)
- Contribute $500/year in either professional service, donations or fundraiser ticket sales
- Stay informed about the organization and attend at least one program event annually
- Assist the board in carrying out its fiduciary responsibilities such as reviewing the organization’s annual financial statements
- Contribute towards the creation of a collegial working relationship amongst board members
Interested applicants should reply with a resume and a cover letter expressing interest
by Friday April 20th to:
Managing Director – Liz Forsberg – [email protected]